Thursday, October 20, 2011

What Makes a Hero?

I love Lord of the Rings. I admit I never read the series until the movie came out, but I read them all. Great books! I love the Hobbits, Middle Earth, Elves... I love the whole fantasy behind the story. But what I also appreciate is the story- good vs evil. J.R. Tolkien did a fabulous job of merging a wonderful storyline of a fanciful creatures and themes from medieval times with  modern moral issues. Through out his books he questioned man's principles and man's choices. What makes a true hero? Is a hero born or does he respond to a situation? What does a hero do when confronted with an evil?

Who did you consider the greatest hero? Aragorn or Frodo?The reason I ask is to gain a perspective of a hero. Most of the time when we think of a hero, we conjure up the vision of a giant of a man, tall, strong and handsome. An alpha male who conquers all evil, never making a miscue in his quest. A silent type, a man of few words, he does his talking with a look or his actions. He sweeps in to save the damsel in distress, guns blazing. Yet, in Lord of the Rings, a different concept was born. Was Frodo any less the hero than Aragorn?

In all the books pertaining to the Hobbits and Middle Earth was it not more the decisions that the character makes than his physical prowess? I believe the books showed that heroes respond to a certain situation. That a true hero at times goes against his fears to obtain his objective by facing a threat. That a true hero doesn't have to be perfect. A hero can be flawed. He would not be human if he wasn't. Then the question has to be asked-does a hero have to be male?

Ah...a female heroine. Can the main hero in a series be female? I believe so. Whispers of a Legend is the chronicle of Kela Monicalia Flandigana Calledwdele on her journey to embrace her destiny.  We are all born with gifts. It is what we do with these gifts that determines who we are?

I'm excited because hopefully Whispers of a Legend, Part One- Shadows of the Past will be out on Amazon tomorrow. I will let you know if it happens. I had to put it in for $0.99. I didn't realize that they didn't allow you to put it in for free to start with. Hopefully, it will be free on Amazon soon. I have done a lot of networking today. Hope it pays off. I want to have the second installment out within a couple of weeks.      


No comments:

Post a Comment