Friday, December 2, 2011

Fantasy Series- Whispers of a Legend

The Path Now Turned
In my writing career, I have never been told I needed to lengthen a book. Length has been an issue with my publishers at times, but not because it was too short. On the contrary, the complaint with the length has always been it was too long. My new release with Whiskey Creek Press coming in January, The Judas Kiss, has been cut from one book into two. The sequel, The Promise, is the other half due out later next year.

Today on Barnes and Noble, one reviewer complained The Path Now Turned is too short! God love them. If I was going to get a complaint, what better complaint than it was too short. When I took on the challenge of self-publishing, I had a choice to make. I made the marketing decision to give a book away free. In the process, I decided to cut the sequels into novella between 30,000 and 40,000 words. What I can do for anyone who likes their books longer is to put the three volumes together after the release of the Vision of Destiny.

Bare with me. Writing is the easy part. Promoting and marketing is the hard part for me. As an author, I have confidence in my stories and writing. I wish all I had to do was sit behind my computer and write. But promoting and marketing are part of being an author now a days. The hard part is getting people to read your work. With so many books out there to choose from what makes mine worthy of reading.

Without a doubt the first component is to write a good book. No amount of marketing or promoting can make up for a book that's not well written with a good story-line. Next is getting readers to sample your reading. Offering a book for free is an excellent way which is what I did with Shadows of the Past. The only thing is that it hasn't gone free on Amazon which, honestly, hurts. One only has to look at the rankings to see the difference between Barnes and Nobles and Amazon. Even with The Path Now Turned, Barnes and Nobles is selling 3 to 1 over Amazon. Should be the other way around. So, I have a ways to go myself.

What I am excited about is that I'm getting to publish my fantasy series. Whispers of a Legend is a journey in itself. An adventure tale of magical worlds with flying hawkmen, good versus evil and all in the midst of a love triangle. But as Gunilda tells Kela in The Path Now Turned “The road you walk is not straight, my child. Remember that. All roads wind.”


All roads do wind. Makes me think of one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost- The Road Not Taken
           Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
                 I took the one less traveled by,
             
And that has made all the difference.
Helps me remember that nothing good comes easy. Have a good one! 


Shadows of the Past

No comments:

Post a Comment