Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Fear of Failing

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try. 
- Beverly Sills, opera singer
Working on my latest novel, I have found its hard coming out of my comfort zone. It's scary. For years, I've lived in the past. When I write my historical books, I transport myself back to that particular time. It's like a daydream on paper.

Now, I'm venturing into the present. My first contemporary romantic suspense- Fragmented- is scheduled to be released at the first of December. I'll admit I'm a little nervous.

This isn't my normal behavior. Usually when I decide to do something, I dive into it and just assume everything will be okay. It's what I did when I went Indie. It's how I've done most anything in my life.

Growing up, my dad was a boys high school basketball coach. My life revolved around basketball. All I wanted to do was play basketball. I remember going to this prestigious girls basketball camp when I was a freshman. In between skill sets, we were broken into teams. Every night, each team played another team. I never got into those games for long. One game I think I was in for maybe 30 seconds—long enough to run up and down the court. One of the opposing girls set a screen on me and I ran right through it. Foul! I was taken out immediately. Even when we practiced, I was hardly asked to participate. Instead, I sat on the sidelines. Instead of being bored, I took the time to  learn how to dribble with my left hand. At my last high school basketball game I played as a senior,  the coach who had run the camp came up to me. He said, "I never thought you would be the player you became."

And I never thought I wouldn't be become a good player.

It occurred to me the other day that is the attitude we must have to succeed. Learn...never stop working toward your goal...but never lose your confidence. Belief in yourself is so important. You can't fear failing.

I am nervous releasing my first contemporary murder mystery book, but I'm also excited...thrilled to be exact.
It's coming- Fragmented.
fragmentedstandard
Coming December, 2013
I don't want to forget to mention a couple of things— my book giveaway over on Goodreads. It stops on October 24. I'm giving away 5 signed copies of Seductive Lies.
Coming Tuesday- September 24,2013
Goodreads Book-giveaway ends October 24!
For a short period of time, Broken Legacy is only $.99! Now until November 3rd!
c18f3-brokenlegacyfinal
Since its the World Series (and my beloved Red Sox are back), I'll leave you with this:
 My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. 
- Hank Aaron, baseball Hall of Famer

No comments:

Post a Comment